Civil Marriage Solemnization


Getting Married

Marriage Licenses are issued at the Township of Alnwick/Haldimand Municipal Office in Grafton during office hours from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Appointments are recommended. Please call the Clerk, Robin van de Moosdyk at 905-349-2822 ext. 32 or the Clerk’s Assistant, Alexandra Smith at 905-349-2822 ext. 25 to book your appointment or send an email to

Types of Marriage Ceremonies Performed in Ontario:

Religious marriage: a recognized religious official marries you.

Civil marriage: an authorized officiant marries you.

Are you looking for an Officiant?

Alnwick/Haldimand has authorized Officiants to perform civil marriage ceremonies. Please send an email to for more information.

License Fee:            $ 125.00

Please contact the Municipal Office using the phone numbers and email address above for the current applicable fees.

What You Will Need to Bring to Your Appointment:

  • Your completed Marriage Licence Application Form, signed by both Applicants which can be found on the Service Ontario website. The license can be issued to one Applicant however identification of both Applicants is required.  
  • Two (2) pieces of government-issued identification for both Applicants. One piece of identification must include your photo.

Examples include:

            -           government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates

            -           valid passport

            -           record of immigrant landing

            -           Canadian Citizenship Card

            -           valid driver’s license

            -           valid Ontario Photo Card

  • Your Marriage License fee ($125), the fee for officiating (if applicable), and your fee for the ceremony in Alnwick/Haldimand (if applicable)

    All fees can be paid by cash, cheque or debit.

Marriage after Divorce:

If you were divorced in Canada, an original Certificate of Divorce must be presented (this certificate will have a seal and an original signature). No photocopies will be accepted.

If there is a previous divorce that was granted outside of Canada, approval is required from the Office of the Registrar General before a marriage license can be issued. This approval takes a minimum of four weeks to process.

In order to obtain a marriage license, both applicants must be 18 years of age or older or parental consent required.

A marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date it was issued and can be used anywhere in Ontario.


Additional information including marriage certificates and name change can be found on the Service Ontario website.

Municipal Office, 10836 Cty. Rd. 2, PO Box 70 Grafton ON K0K 2G0 Tele: 905-349-2822 Fax: 905-349-3259

Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2013 iCompass Technologies Inc.